Walking is Good for you by Jancee Dun

As you all know, I am disabled and have never walked in my life. I am a news enthusiast and have subscribed to the New York Times Magazine. Today, I checked my email and first read about the health benefits of walking, its enjoyment, and its role in easing melancholy and sadness. This ranks among the most ableist articles I have encountered recently.  


Why does no one in the New York Times write about the challenges faced by disabled people who cannot walk, secure employment, or earn income while losing nearly half our earnings to SSI? We wait decades for housing assistance programs. The issue is that no one addresses our problems. Rather than focusing on how able bodies walk, it might be better to consider what happens if they become disabled in a wheelchair.  


The problem is that disabled people are overlooked because we live in a materialistic society driven by a materialistic economy. America currently operates within a materialistic economy, meaning people prioritize survival over concern for others. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nvidia Broadcast OTA Dependencies Failed Solution

Disability Cap

10 most famous American phrasal verbs